Powered by Blogger.

A Heavenly Wardrobe


It was May, 1987. I remember how crisp the air was with whips of white clouds moving across the sky. The gentle breeze moving the branches of the olive tree in the front yard and shoots of new growth on the fruit tree’s in the back. The songs of the birds who had just begun to invade our yard again after a long hiatus in the South could be heard inside the house as we sat at the breakfast table.

For my mom and I, there were thoughts of last minute wedding preparations to complete, gifts for the bridal party, table favors, arrival time for the photographer, last fittings, rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. During the last minute details of the wedding preparations, I wasn’t really thinking of the “trousseau” but my mom was. She had planned all along to set a special day apart for just her and I to go shopping in the fashionable clothing district of Los Angeles. This was indeed special because we were considered country bumpkins living as inlanders of Southern California, where avocado, orange and eucalyptus trees reigned in place of Sacs Fifth Avenues and Gucci store front windows. As intimidating as it was I felt safe in the confines of my mothers elegant way of dressing and her confidence with sales attendants. Dressing for her has always been an art form and she was accustomed to the finest, but for me, I was (and still am) most comfortable with Levi's, tennies and a tee shirt.

I recall my mom saying to me, “Laurie, it’s time you shed yourself of that old wardrobe and make room for something new.” Words to live by, words of wisdom. I continually hear in my heart of hearts, “Put off the old Laurie and put on the new.” 
My moms wisdom was nothing new, I don’t think her intent was spiritual, but the implications were eternally life changing. 

This everyday practical act of “taking off” is necessary to “put on”.  Ephesians 4 say’s;  If indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus, that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.

It comes by way of the truth of God’s Word implanted in our minds.  Jesus the Word of God!! He is our righteousness and in Him we have new clothes made white and purified by His shed blood on Calvary.  Laying aside.. Putting off the old, was and is the most refreshing act I can do on a daily basis. Confession, repentance and turning to Him, saying to the Lord these old tattered clothes have to go! Jesus, sanctify and cleanse me with the washing of water by Your Word!

My earthly clothing style may never be refined.. But my daily prayer is to seek "His" heavenly wardrobe! 

In His love,
Laurie



No comments